The State Centre for Climate Change and Knowledge Management Cell was established in August 2015 by State Government order. State Centre for Climate Change is the apex body to coordinate and implement the Chhattisgarh State Action Plan on Climate Change (CSAPCC). The Centre is guided by a Steering Committee, which has already been constituted by the State Government under the chairmanship of the Chief Secretary with members; Additional Chief Secretaries, Principal Secretaries and Secretaries from concerned departments, representatives from national Institutions and subject experts. The Nodal Officer for CSAPCC is the member secretary of this Steering Committee.
Objectives of establishment of State Centre on Climate Change:
- To set a platform for interdepartmental coordination on implementation of CSAPCC.
- To act as a knowledge management center, by strengthening existing knowledge and information base on climate change
- To provide a platform for Stakeholder engagement to develop climate adaptation and mitigation in a participatory manner.
- To act as a Monitoring and Evaluation agency in the implementation of CSAPCC.
- To promote capacity and skills among State Government officials to mainstream climate change issues in development activities, raise awareness on climate change & risk reduction in development activities.
- To plan and budget the activities to effectively utilize the available resources and coordinate on accessing international climate funds.
Function of State Centre of Climate Change :-
- Coordination among various departments at state level and district climate change cells on implementation of state action plan.
- Act as a knowledge management centre, by strengthening existing knowledge and information base on climate change.
- Act as a Monitoring and Evaluation agency in the implementation of CSAPCC.
- Promote capacity and skills of various stakeholders in developing and implementing climate change action plans.
- To present to the State Steering Committee progress on the implementation of SAPCC.
State Vision and Commitment
The State has articulated climate concerns in its Approach Paper for the 12th FYP, and as such, is committed to fostering an integrated approach to inclusive, sustainable, and climate resilient growth and development. This vision will be achieved through pursuing (a) mainstreaming of climate concerns into all aspects of development policy and implementation, and (b) ensuring complementarity with and contributing to the national agenda on climate change. Keeping in mind the overall motto of the CSAPCC – ‘Inclusive Growth for Improved Resilience’, these approaches will be supported by the strategies and actions outlined in this report, and by all other necessary actions by the State Government for the achievement of the Vision.